Steps

Physical, Emotional and Mental steps on my journey towards healthy living on every level

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hiatal hernia

The doctor came in about 6:30 that night to check on my progress. He let me know that during surgery he had found a hiatal hernia between my esophogus and diaphragm. The internet says this about them: Most small hiatal hernias don't cause any problems, and you may never know you have a hiatal hernia unless your doctor discovers it when checking for another condition. But a large hiatal hernia can allow food and acid to back up into your esophagus, leading to heartburn and chest pain.

Anyway, the surgeon when he came to visit me about 5 hours after surgery said it took a little longer because he had to repair a hiatal hernia between my diaphragm and my esophagus. I must have been in a post-anesthesia haze, because all I was thinking was, “WHAT? I don’t have a diaphragm! I’ve never used birth control, especially not a diaphragm! Then my brain clicked into gear and I remembered what a diaphragm was and that I indeed had one!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home