Steps

Physical, Emotional and Mental steps on my journey towards healthy living on every level

Friday, October 03, 2008

The Reverse is True

Well, I did it. I got up at 5 and made it to the Y by 5:25. I did my 40 minute interval workout:

6 minutes on bike
30 minutes on treadmill -- 3.0 incline, 4.3 mph exertion, 2.8 mph for recovery times...
4 minutes on bike

I hated getting up. I hated crawling out of my warm bed and heading out into what is every day a colder world. I hated driving there and mumbled to myself about how it was so early and I was so tired and how I should have gone to bed earlier....

And while on the treadmill I was moaning to myself as well.... so hard to get moving, hate this, why am I doing this ... grrrr.

But, when I was done, I LOVED the feeling. I have tons more energy. I was home in time to shower and get ready, with 15 minutes to spare to blog before waking up the children. I feel positive about my day. My body feels energized.

I have noticed that the reverse is true from what I would expect. (I know, that's a stupid sentence, but I'm too lazy to go back and change it. However, in the time it took me to write that it was a stupid sentence, I could have gone back and fixed the sentence, and now, for sure, explaining that in the time it took for me to tell you that I acknowledge that the time that I used to explain I was lazy, I certainly could have fixed the sentence..... oh well).

I would expect that on the nights when I sleep 8 hours and do not exercise, I would feel more rested during the day as my body would not be as tired. But the reverse is true. If I get up after 6 hours of sleep and do my 40 minute workout, I feel better all day long and get way more done, with lots more energy than if I sleep 8 hours and don't workout at all.

And for someone who spent 19 years doing as little moving as possible, it's too bad I didn't figure it out long ago.

1 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Good job fearless leader!

Corey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home