Steps

Physical, Emotional and Mental steps on my journey towards healthy living on every level

Monday, April 13, 2020

Updates on Our Journeys

As some of you know, I lost a lot of weight and did really well preparing for a 5K back in 2018.   That ended abruptly in a way that was very traumatic for me. I instantly lost my trainer and had all kinds of junk happen to our family that caused me to stop all of my progress.  I stopped paying attention and gained back everything that I had lost.  I couldn't make myself work out because it was a huge trauma trigger and I zoned out for a good part of a year, even though I was going through the motions and working out some.

Fast forward to April of 2019 and I was at my daughter's wedding and realized how crappy I felt.  I could barely move.  Walking was hard and while I loved being part of that day, I really felt like my health was keeping me from enjoying it fully.   A few days after we returned I went to the endocrinologist who told me that she needed to start me on some new meds for my diabetes -- going from 2 meds to 5.   I started taking them and felt absolutely horrible.   I mean I felt awful!

One day I woke up and thought "I am taking all of this medication in order to be able to eat carbs.  What if I just stopped eating carbs?"

I said something online about Keto and a couple friends really encouraged me to try it.  So I started in June with the goal of losing 20 pounds before my son Leon's wedding in September.  He had asked me to dance with him at his wedding and picked out a song, and I knew I could not possibly do that without losing weight.  (I have never danced before, but even standing through a song I knew would be hard.)

So I did it.  I dropped the 20 and went to his wedding.  On the trip I didn't pay attention and when I returned I had gained the 20 back ... plus 2.   AAAAAGH.  I gained it all back in about 9 days.  Crazy!  So I started back up again and lost that 20 by Thanksgiving, but gained some more back over Christmas.

Finally, on January 13th I started a no cheat challenge with a fiesty competitive person at work and she and I have cheated only a few times in 4 months.   I have managed to lose 27 pounds since January 13th and am 40 pounds down from where I was in September.   I have a goal to weigh less at my son Rand's upcoming June wedding than I did at mine.  I am only 10 pounds away from that goal.

All this time I have done this by just eating Keto and not adding exercise until the last two weeks when I started a very slow exercise plan in my own bedroom (easing the trauma triggers from the gym).  I am starting with a 6 minute Low Impact Seated Chair workout for the morbidly obese.  I stand for part of it, but seriously that is where I am starting.  Along with 3 sets of four arm exercises with 12 pound weights every other day.  My goal is to increase the amount of minutes by the week and the number of reps in each set.

So.... how about you?  What is your food plan?  What is your diet plan?  Share any of your history you would like to as well.  I know that sharing online is not necessarily comfortable at first, but once you get used to it you'll realize that the more you share the more accountable you can become.


6 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger Brenda said...

I am about 100 pounds overweight. I am a terribly picky eater and detest the taste of most vegetables, plus have Crohn's Disease so the few vegetables and fruits I like then are a problem digestively for me. So eating healthy is an issue. So my plan is IF - Intermittent Fasting. I've read books on it and am in a Facebook group for it, seeing lots of success. I think this is something I can actually do since I can't eat right, but I can forego eating. I want to do a 20 hour fast/4 hours of eating plan Mon-Fri, and then be a little more flexible on weekends.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Katie said...

I am about 30 pounds to my goal weight. I had been doing amazing a few years ago when my husband and I joined Profile. However, that was right before my dad died and it put me in a crap cycle. I was able to pull out of it through exercise, which helped my eating get back on track. With everything going on, I've gained 15 pounds back and I'm very frustrated. I am competitive, so challenges with my husband and friends help a lot! I'm also falling into stress eating, which right now, my stress is super high.
My goals are to get back on my profile plan, drink my 64oz of water daily, and get my exercise routine back on track. I'm bringing my bike back with me, which I love to do!
Overall, I just need to re-commit to myself, believe in myself and then follow through! I'm ready to restart

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger Ms. Myers said...

Hi everyone. I have known Claudia her whole life. Our mothers were best friends. It was wonderful getting to see her in person last year. I have three dogs and am a teacher. I am currently learning how to engage students through distance learning. I really miss my students!
I have consistently gained weight over the last twenty years and about three years ago I decided I wanted to be off statins and blood pressure medicine. I was also tired of feeling awful. I followed the Eat Fat, Get Thin low carb plan and lost 65 pounds. I was also able to stop taking statins, high blood pressure medicine and reflux medicine. Over time I gained some weight back and watched my blood pressure rise. I have been working on improving my sleep in hope that will help me handle stress better. I have been doing better with following my eating plan since we have been on our coronacation. I've also been walking more. I would like to continue reducing my blood pressure, improving sleep and start doing some resistance exercise.

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Donna C said...

Hi everyone. I've been on most every diet there is at some point, so I'm not sure I'm going to diet as much as focus on mindful and more healthful eating. I'm setting a small goal of drinking 100 oz of water a day and losing 10 lbs by mother's day. I want to be able to begin moving more- Claudia, I'd be interested in hearing more about the exercise you started to do.

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Andrea F. said...

YES! I love this. We could all use the group support when those quarantine snacks are looking mighty fine!

And well done on the 12-pound weights. I don't even own 12-pound weights, but I hope to graduate to 10 pounds soon!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Kirsten G said...

I would like to work up on my walking and actually getting back to do my exercises from my physical therapist. I was doing good cooking meals 3x/day while we were on our 2 weeks of quarantine after our trip to Israel. We then decided to start eating out at different restaurants to support them during this stay at home time and it has been my downfall. I need to get back to cooking again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home