Steps

Physical, Emotional and Mental steps on my journey towards healthy living on every level

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Y Report and my Diet and Fitness Goals for August

Sadie and I went to the YMCA this morning. I did 27 minutes on the treadmill and 13 minutes on the bike. Did an interval workout at 3.0 incline using 2.8 relax time and a 3.8 interval time.

I read an annoying article yesterday that says that obese people will not see weight loss unless they are willing to workout at least 55 minutes a day. So, even though that is pissing me off (sorry, Mom, if you ever read this) I am going to make it my goal to get one hour of exercise a day. I have done that several times in the last month anyway between the Y and walks with bart, but I want to do it six days a week for the month of August.

My second goal is to decrease my sodium intake. I know that I should make that more measurable, but I know myself well enough to know that if I say "cut it in half" I would get very obsessive about it and spend my day trying to figure out what my average sodium intake was in the past month and then dividing it in two and then my day would be gone. Can't do that.

So, one hour a day of exercise, less sodium. Bring on August!

(and by the way, I'm going to just have one pop a week now.....)

1 Comments:

At 12:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That article does sound annoying. And I don't think it's true. Technically speaking, you lose a pound a week by cutting out 3500 calories that you would have normally eaten in that week. That means, of course, eat 500 fewer calories per day, OR work out enough to burn 500+ calories per day. There's no set time limit on exercise that could possibly be accurate, because the number of calories burned depends largely on the type of exercise and the amount of exertion.

Plus, I started out with about 100 (or more) pounds to lose...I'm halfway there. But I started out losing weight very easily and I worked out only between 20 and 40 minutes, on alternate days, 5 to 6 days a week. I'm still steadily losing weight, although it's slower now, and most of my workouts only amount to not quite 50 minutes, 5 days a week.

Either way, though, it can't hurt to increase your workout times. I choose not to, just because I don't have that kind of time, so what I do is increase my exertion by adding wrist or ankle weights or doing things with greater intensity.

I've been following a modified version of a low sodium diet for about 6 months now. If you Google "DASH diet" and "DASH diet recipes" you should find some things that help you out. The DASH diet is the eating plan for people who want to reduce their blood pressure (or maintain a healthy bp) by reducing sodium.

I think your goals are great. You're doing good work and regardless of what the scales say, you're making a difference for your health and well being! Go Claudia!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home