Steps

Physical, Emotional and Mental steps on my journey towards healthy living on every level

Friday, June 20, 2008

Inertia

I think that maybe Inertia was more of the concept that I was looking for than is Momentum, but if you know me well, you know that science and physics aren't exactly my forte.

The term "inertia" is more properly understood as a shorthand for "the principle of inertia as described by Newton in Newton's First Law of Motion" which, expressed simply, says: "An object that is not subject to any outside forces moves at a constant velocity, covering equal distances in equal times along a straight-line path." In even simpler terms, inertia means "A body in motion tends to remain in motion, a body at rest tends to remain at rest."

This was my problem for so many years you wouldn't believe it. I preferred to be at rest. All the time if I could help it. If you looked up the word sedentary in the dictionary there was a picture of fat old me sitting behind my computer. Seriously. It might still be there if they haven't updated.

Anyway, inertia is currently working in my favor. After movement I am propelled to more movement. Getting myself to the Y in the morning is becoming less and less difficult. When I am working out I am finding it less of a chore and more fun. When I am done I feel great.

Thinking about going back to the way I was before seems more impossible every day.

You may wonder why I am posting this stuff. Here is the reason. I have never been able to give any advice about this ever. I was the worst candidate in the world for this stuff. And yet I am learning. I am actually studying things about fitness and how they apply to changing ones life in every arena. I guarantee that 9 months ago you wouldn't have seen me googling "ideal heart rate for exercise."

Inertia. I like the idea. I even like the word. Say it with me. Inertia. Come on. You can do it. Say it outloud. Inertia. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home