Steps

Physical, Emotional and Mental steps on my journey towards healthy living on every level

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It's All About Momentum

I'm not a physics major -- far from it -- but I started thinking about momentum today and how it builds and how much this has effected my weight loss and exercise which is ultimately affecting my parenting, spiritual life, marriage, etc.

Here is one definition I found of momentum:

The mass times the velocity of a moving object gives its momentum (p) in kilogram meters per second (kg.m/s). The more momentum, the more damage it can do and harder it is to stop.


Now I don't even want to think about the mathematical equation, but let's picture, metaphorically, any habit as the moving object. How fast it develops and how big (or strong) it is gives it it's momentum. The more you add to it, the more the momentum builds.

I started out in such small steps way back in February. I cut out fast food. That was my first step. In fact, I only cut out fast food breakfasts at first, towards the end of January. Then after a couple weeks, I cut out eating unhealthy stuff when we went out to eat. Momentum started to build. I then started eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch. I decided I should go to the doctor and have my blood levels checked. Then I had my lap band filled (which has helped a little, but really it is only a tool and without the other stuff does nothing). In March I started going to the Y. I did that for a couple months, and then I added evening walks. And this month, I started drinking all 64 ounces of water each day. And the momentum just keeps building.

I love the statement above, "the more momentum, the more damage it can do and harder it is to stop." In the past, I started every diet giving 100% and I burned out so fast. I couldn't do it for more than month or two. But with this gradual building of momentum, I am maintaining. And the weight keeps coming off. And then I am motivated to do more.

The damage this momentum is doing to my fat cells is great and I can't imagine how much it would take to get me to stop now. I can't imagine going back all those steps, when I took each one gradually.

My encouragement to anyone who is thinking about starting weight loss, is just to pick one thing a day you know you can be successful at. And then add something each week. All of us are at different starting points and have different reasons and excuses as to why we can't.

But pick one thing. Comment about it here if it helps. Maybe it is taking the stairs instead of the elevator at work. Maybe it is climbing the Bethany Steps once a day, maybe it is walking to church instead of driving (saves gas too). Whatever the one thing is you can do it.

Build so much momentum that it's causing lots of damage to your sedentary lifestyle and that is gets harder and harder to stop.

2 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Randi said...

Yep! You nailed it! Its those baby steps that eventually get us to our goals. Congrats on your success!

 
At 6:40 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Hi Claudia-
I wanted to leave a comment that has a lot to do with building momentum over time.

Today I felt like Cher because I turned back time. (Remember that song?!?) For the first time in TWENTY YEARS I wore a size 12. When I started Weight Watchers in 2006 I never would have thought it was possible. But...40 lbs. later and 3 months on the treadmill said otherwise. Is this forever? I don't know...but it feels GREAT for today! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home