Steps

Physical, Emotional and Mental steps on my journey towards healthy living on every level

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

All the Preparation Time

I have found that any little tiny thing can throw me off when it comes to exercise. I think this is true for all of us in trying to form a new habit. If the conditions are not just perfect, we have to bail.

Like last night. I knew I was not going to walk alone, and Bart was not home. So, I made a phone call in the middle of the day to set up a "date" to walk with a walking partner. I am going to do it again today. If I wait until tonight to set that up, I won't end up doing it.

And the routine for the YMCA has to be meticulous. It starts the night before. I have to charge my Iphone because I can't do a good workout without it's built in IPod. I make sure my podcasts are synced. Then I have to know where my water bottle is. I have to have the right clothes right by the bed. I have to make sure I know exactly where my IPhone, ear buds, keys, and pedometer are so I don't get caught up in something dumb.

Then in the morning, I have to have everything exactly right. I have it down to a science. I get up, wake up Sadie, go to the bathroom, get dressed, grab my stuff, fill my water bottle and get in the van.

When I get into the van, I have to do certain things immediately. I put on my headband first. I hate exercising without it because the sweat gets in my eyes. Then I put my Y card in my pocket. Then I drive to the Y. When I get there I double check to make sure that my pedometer is on, my iphone, earbuds, and y card are in my pocket. I make sure my shoes are tied well. Finally, I head into the building.

Why do I do all this stuff? Because I know myself too well. I will use any of those things as an excuse not to finish my workout. Oh brother, Iphone battery died. Can't finish. No water bottle? Better quit early and go out to the van for a drink. Favorite podcast not on the Ipod? Can't finish. I've even gotten off the treadmill to tie my shoe and let that end a workout.

I know myself. I'm pathetic. I have to get rid of all my excuses so I can succeed.

This morning, did the intervals I posted for the week, did one minute of side stepping at .8 mph instead of .5, and added 10 seconds of lunges on each side.

And last night I walked, bringing my steps for the day up to over 8000.

And even after "falling off the wagon" at the picnic,, which will forever more be known as the endless "chip fest", I got right back on again. Granola bar for breakfast, the sandwich for lunch, and very little spaghetti and meatballs for supper (mainly because my lap band kicked in and something about the way the meatballs were made, did NOT go well, and well, what goes down, must come up). I know, I know, Too Much Information!

Blood sugar at 117 this morning about an hour after exercise.

Things are looking good.

3 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had some bad experiences with lunges, as a bigger girl...they can be really hard on the knees. A tip I picked up is to keep the knee over the ankle joint when you go down into the lunge, and to focus your weight in the forward heel--digging the heel into the floor. That will help protect the knee joint. Sorry...I know you didn't ask for advice, but I really messed myself up for a couple of weeks when I first started lunges without the correct form, and I lost several days worth of good workouts.

I am SOOO hearing you on the headband issue. I hate when my eyes sting from the sweat!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Claudia said...

well, please remember that really my lunges don't really look like I'm lunging

What would you call them? Very cautious knee bends with my body slightly forward?

That's kinda long.

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry--you said lunges and I saw the picture a couple of posts ago of the lady with her back knee almost touching the treadmill. :)

So my dad used to call them "deep knee bends." I guess we could call them "shallow knee bends"???

Either way, I think good form could still be important, even with the very cautious knee bends with your body slightly forward. I'd hate to read that you got hurt. You're doing such a great job with your workouts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home