Steps

Physical, Emotional and Mental steps on my journey towards healthy living on every level

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Every Day Matters

I'm not into ruining a record. Once I have some momentum, I hate to stop. For example, Bart and I have not gone to sleep at night angry in all of our 11+ years of marriage. We always resolve things, pray together, and say I love you every night. Once and I while I'm tempted to say "Screw you" and roll over and go to sleep, but then I think about how wrong it would be to ruin an 11 year streak and I put forth the effort to make up.

That's how it works with me and exercise. I know that if I keep going, every day that I add to my streak will make it harder for me to break it. My problem is that once I break it once, it is very hard for me to get going again.

So, now I can say that for 10 days I have been to the YMCA every morning it has been open (8 of the 10). Tomorrrow, it will be 11, etc. And the higher it gets the more determined I will be to not ruin it.

I know myself well, and this works for me. It may not be as motivating for some, but if you haven't tried thinking this way, whether it is about diet or exercise or something else, you might want to give it a whirl. Set a goal for yourself and when you have done it for one day, write it down somewhere. Then start marking your days. You'll be amazed.

1 Comments:

At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to break my record of telling you how great I think you are doing...but I don't think you'll need to have to tell you each and every day. Just one more day. It's gotta' make you feel good to keep disciplined with the Y. No Y near here...but a long gravel road. Hmmmmm.....that just might work. My mother-in-law puts me to shame, as she walks every day. Has mitrovalve something or other and just doesn't feel well if she doesn't walk. Unfortunately for me, I feel fine as is, but know I will feel even better if I get moving. I guess running to the van and into the grocery store, PO, school doesn't keep my heart rate up for 20minutes straight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home