Steps

Physical, Emotional and Mental steps on my journey towards healthy living on every level

Monday, September 10, 2007

My Number One Dieting Issue

I went to the Y this morning at 5:45. I got on the scale. I had gained a pound. I still worked out, came home, and had my yogurt.

But as I was dropping off a batch of kids at school, I thought to myself, "You know, I really tried to watch what I ate last week, and it didn't make any difference, so why bother?" and I went and had myself McDonalds drive through for breakfast.

You know, a Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit is one of the worst items to have on every single one of the diet lists I've ever seen. And yet it is my favorite of all.... maybe that's why.

So, my number one dieting issue is my brain and how I manage to reason myself into anything I want to do. Knowing me, had I lost 5 pounds I would have said, "Good job, way to go. Self, you DESERVE McDonalds this morning."

2 Comments:

At 6:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not over--it was just one meal in time--next time just eat half the bun or bisquit---and you with all your stress--need to walk so today park the car just a little bit further than you normally would and make those kids hoof a bit too--if I just walk 5 minutes i tell myself it's more than I normally do--it is a tough road this weight issue--I finally have lost weight--not skinny but better---I count calories easier for me--buy the ready cut apples---please, this anon reads you every day and admires your efforts for your children----so take care of yourself so there is something left after they are gone

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia Child had the wisest words about eating I've ever heard. It isn't about what you eat today. It is about this week, this month, this year. She also admonished against beating yourself up about food choices and said to eat the foods you like in smaller quantities and less often, but never to ban them from your diet.

She recommended having an imaginary shelf labeled INDULGENCES and that you put on it all the things that require rationing. Then you place the shelf high and out of reach to remind yourself that the things on it are not for every day consumption, rather they are for special occasions. That way when you choose to indulge, you can enjoy every mouthful guilt free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home